Monday 19 August 2013

Camera gear – part 2 – It’s not about the gear!

In photography it is allot of talk about the gear and how important it is. There are tons of Internet forums, blogs and You tube videos telling you to buy this or that gear, and what is good and what is bad. I will tell you my conclusion after using digital cameras for almost ten years now, and that is:

It’s not about the gear; it’s about how you use it.

So what do I mean with this statement? I mean that for most photographers the gear isn’t the limiting factor of how good your photos are. The limiting factor is the photographer holding the camera. Of course there are situations where good gear will help you capture something special, I am not telling you to sell all your gear and shoot with a $100 point and shoot, it’s just that gear is not that important in photography.

The transition to smaller cameras from DSLRs is already happening, more and more people are moving toward this new generation of cameras; smaller, smarter and more competent than the old DSLRs.  Today there are alternatives for APS-C mirror cameras (DSLRs).  Fujifilm, Sony, and Samsung have several cameras out on the market with interchangeable lens systems that can replace your old DSLR with an APS-C sized sensor. So far there are no full frame alternatives out without the old mirror technology but my guess is that it’s just a matter of time before they enter the market. The fact is that the sensors developed by Fujifilm perform very similar to a full frame sensor from Canon or Sony.

So in which situations are the DSLRs still the “go to camera”? My answer is simply; sports and nature photography. For using big long lenses (300mm and longer) the most convenient camera to use is still the DSLR. The benefit is better continuous autofocus and handling (balance) with longer and heavier lenses. I am using both DSLRs and the new generation cameras but I haven’t got into any APS-C system like the Fujifilm X-series or the NEX from Sony. I don’t see the need for my own photography to buy into any of these systems at the moment, but I love the freedom of traveling light and I am keeping an eye on what is happening with the micro four thirds and the Fujifilm X-series.

My messenger bag is right now inhabited by my Canon 600D, Pentax K-5 and the Fuji X-100. I have three great cameras and no room for any newcomer at the moment. A new camera would not help me making better photos, only training and getting to know my current cameras will let me make better photos.  To be continued…


This photo was made with my Canon Powershot S100. The S100 is so small that I can take it with me everywhere I go. The best camera for you is the one you actually use and not the one that collects dust on your shelf at home.

Phone company #20 (playground version) http://www.flickr.com/photos/koxa74/9539465349/lightbox/

No comments:

Post a Comment